Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Congrats Andy - good score so far!


We have been reminded of Andy's tough beginning to life because the family of the girl who was born on the same day in the same place as he was, Sophia, has been congregating here for a wedding.
That strange twist of fate - or should I say act of God exactly 31 years ago - in which Joey and Maria, who we were staying with in Vancouver had a daughter, Sophia, in the morning and Andy was born in the afternoon, is amazing to this day.
The funny thing about it is that mum had a fall yesterday - as if to mark another anniversary - the fall she had 31 years ago that we are convinced brought on labour some 6 weeks early. That fall was due to her slipping on an icy step. She hardly ever falls, so the one that happened yesterday was as rare an event as it was funny. We had gone out house hunting and, we were finding a place to park so that we could look at an apartment. If you know Taipei, you'll have some idea how difficult finding a parking place is - and in this case, we decided to try to park in an offroad patch of dirt. It was a bit tricky and I didn't want to get stuck, so I started to back out when the estate agent signalled that she'd found a better spot. I was so intent in not hitting the car next to me or getting stuck in the dirt, that when mum tried to get into the car, I asked her to wait. She didn't hear that and kept on trying to get in. So with one foot inside the car, and back pedalling with the other one, it wasn't long before she lost balance and fell back onto the road. No, I didn't speed up purposely - it was fully an accident, got it?
Well, in spite of a bit of pain, mum had a laugh about it... So 31 years later to the day, she had another fall - but I think that will be where the analogy ends - I don't think she'll have a baby today to continue on with the coincidence.
However, there almost was a continuation of the phenomena - since Teri was in labour and could have had her baby today.
Anyway, I digress.
Andy, we wish you a great year ahead. May your 31st year be one that you look back on as a happy and productive one. We pray that you enjoy celebrating this special day and that the love of your family and friends makes it especially sweet.
You're a son to be proud of and we know that your good heart, faithfulness, dedication to Libby and Ashley, your great sense of humour and much more are all traits that will see you through the twists and turns in life and lead you in pleasant places. As the verse goes "The lines are fallen unto me in pleasant places; yea, I have a goodly heritage."
Happy Birthday, Andy!!! We love you!
Sorry I don't have any great pix of you, Andy. For those looking for the really handsome ones, you'll have to look on Libby's blog.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday mate! Hope you had a great day. Lots of love sent from Gabe and Honey too!
--Angy

Ange in Taiwan said...

You're gettin' slack again, brother Paul. I'll be back way-too-soon, to remind you, in person. Muahahah (or however you spell it)!