




We had a chance to visit Gaynor briefly on our visit to Brisbane a couple of weeks ago. One of Dad and Gaynor's great joys is their garden but because of dad's sickness, it was not possible to work on it. So after Dad's passing, she had it restored and it looks great! She wanted to dedicate it to him and decided to hold a party in his honour. Some of his close friends at "Ye Olde Brass" provided the music. Family and friends attended, and a nicely carved wooden sign "Jim's Garden" was displayed.
Gaynor sent me these photos and note:
"The Garden Party was a great success, perfect weather, and a sumptuous feast.[I'm not sure Dad would have approved!] About 50 people attended. ...I visit the cemetery regularly with flowers. Last Sunday was Memorial Sunday at Prince of Peace, both Jims went on the list, and Ruth came to the service with me."
Dad had conducted the band for 10 years and was held in high esteem by the members. Gaynor said "I have been asked to conduct Ye Olde Brass for a carols concert in the Redcliffe RSL auditorium [some of Dad's arrangements ]in Dec. So, this will be a "first", re-inventing myself musically once again!!"
I'm sure you'll do a great job, Gaynor and will add colour and pizazz to the performance and I hope Dad is there too as he'd enjoy it and be happy to see you standing in for him.

No comments:
Post a Comment